Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The Lights Go On, The Lights Go Off



I held off as long as possible, I really tried, I convinced myself I wasn't going to be the millionth person to post about Beirut. It was going fine, I had no strong urge to say what everyone else was already saying, that is, until I heard the whole album and then, wow. This kid, 19 year-old Albuquerque native Zach Condon, is a genious, who according to just about the entire blogosphere right now, has created one of the most diverse and creative albums of 2006 thus far.

On Beirut's debut LP Gulag Orkestar Zach took everything he knew about pop music and saturated it in everything we didn't know about old world Europe. The astonishing feat is that Zach recorded the entire album alone, utilizing a wealth of both common and exotic instruments such as: a trumpet from Paris, farfisa organ, accordion, piano, ukelele, mandolin, glockenspiel, violin, cello, tambourine, an air powered organ, Congo drum and a broken microphone stolen from the university of new mexic. No doubt you have already heard or at least heard of Beirut's music by now and you can pick up the incredible track "Postcards From Italy" on any of your finer music blogs, so I thought I'd treat you to my second favorite track from the album.

[MP3]: Beirut :: Scenic World
The first thing you'll notice about this song is that it sounds quite different from all the other Beirut material flaoting around out there. The song opens with what could pass for either a catchy video game soundtrack or a catchy calypso beat, however, note that either way, it's catchy. Zach's smooth crooning and the calming blast of trumpets paired with the previously mentioned "beat" just couldn't be more soothing. If I were to be as bold as to describe this as your Grandma's electronica, and I will be, I'd say it time to head over to Grandma's and ask her why she's been holding out on you all this time.

Gulag Orkestar comes out may 9th, but you can preorder it now from Ba Da Bing Records.

Beirut on MySpace! Add "Postcards From Italy" to your profile so people will think you're cool.


Elsewhere...

As would be expected, Matt is the first one to premiere a new track from Bishop Allen's April EP. It's definitely not like any Bishop Allen I've heard before.

I. Love. Steven Colbert.
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!