Sunday, November 27, 2005

SKATTERBRAIN's Top 20 of 2005



It's that time of the year kids. It might not be quite the end of the year yet, but, it's close enough and I'm not drooling over anything that's going to come out in the next month anyway. Feel free to agree or disagree but these are my top 20 albums of 2005. Based on, umm, how much I loved them. So, anyway, here goes.

20. Antony & The Johnsons :: I Am A Bird Now
[MP3]: Hope There's Someone

I originally got this because of the incredible hype surrounding it. Well, the first time i listned to it I absolutely hated it. The about 3 months later i tried it again and fell in love. Its amazing.

19. Thee More Shallows :: More Deep Cuts
[MP3]: 2am

As soon as I heard "2am" I ordered this album. Very Radiohead-ish. Very outstanding.

18. Xiu Xiu :: La Foret
[MP3]: Bog People


17. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah :: S/T
[MP3]: Upon This Tidal Wave of Young Blood

As much as i didnt really want to put this on here, I really did enjoy it. It didn't deserve all the hype it got, but it's still a very solid debut.

16. Blood on the Wall :: Awesomer
[MP3]: Mary Susan

Not typically the type of stuff I listen to, but there's just something about it. It was a breath of fresh angsty air and I liked it.

15. Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin :: Broom
[MP3]: I Am Warm + Powerful

Perfect lo-fi pop. They weren't doing anything new, they just did it really well.

14. Spoon :: Gimme Fiction
[MP3]: I Turn My Camera On

It's good. But you ALL know that.

13. Akron/Family :: Akron/Family


12.M83 :: Before the Dawn Heals Us

I heard this album for the first time only 2 months ago. It stuck quick and it hasnt lost it's stick. This album made me a big M83 fan.

11. Minus Story :: No Rest For Ghosts
[MP3]: Little Wet Head

Heaven and Hell was amazing. This was amazinger. Haha.

10. Architecture In Helsinki :: In Case We Die
[MP3]: It'5

This is one of those albums that is full of singles. Just about every song on this album is as catchy as next. C'mon Australia, send us some more goodies.

9. Calla :: Collisions

I kept waiting for this album to "blow up" or at least some hype, but it never really did. If you havent listened to this album yet, I highly recommend you do(I highly recommend everything on this list, it just seems like a lot of people missed out on this album). Maybe I'm wrong?

8. The Boy Least Likely To :: The Best Party Ever
[MP3]: Be Gentle With Me

I paid $25 for this album and it was totally worth it. Matt from YANP really, really loves this(as he does with most all happy indie pop).

7. Sufjan Stevens :: Illinois
[MP3]: Chicago

Okay so, this is wrong, right? Sufjan should be higher you say? I say no. Illinois is great, really great, but it just never stuck with me like it did with so many other people. However, I think it's worth noting that I have a copy with Superman on it. Eat you hearts out kids.

6. Animal Collective :: Feels
[VIDEO]: Grass

Animal Collective is weird: Good. Animal Collective is catchy: Better. Animal Collective is accesible: Best.

5. The Decemberists :: Picaresque
[MP3]: The Engine Driver

I saw The Decemberists live twice this year and i think that's really what kept this album high up on the list... they just put on such an incredible show. This is definitely their most focused effort as of yet.

4. Okkervil River :: Black Sheep Boy
[MP3]: Black

I got around to hearing this album near the end of Summer and then i got every other Okkervil River album. I fell in love with them really fast and Black Sheep Boy is still in heavy rotation. Although now its rotating alongside the Black Sheep Boy Appendix, which is also amazing. Check that out, too.

3. Sigur Ros :: Takk...
[VIDEO]: Hoppipolla (NEW!)

Sigur Ros managed to remain true to what they do while becoming more accesible at the same time. I've loved Sigur Ros since I first heard Agaetis Byjun and I love them more now than ever.

2. Wolf Parade :: Apologies to the Queen Mary
[MP3]: Shine A Light

I listened to nothing but this album for about two weeks. In my opinion, they deserved every bit of that hype.

1. Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band :: Horses in the Sky

It's emotional, dramatic, sprawling, infectious, moving, beautiful, ugly, loud, soft, and deeply melodic. I love post-rock as I'll often mention and I've known this was my number one for 2005 the first day i heard it. Do yourself a favor and make it a point to listen to this all the way through at least once. Absolutely Incredible.


Go ahead and tell me what you think. Agree or disagree, I'd like to hear your feedback. 2006 is shaping up to be another great year, there are rumors of a new Godspeed You! Black Emperor album late in this coming year. If this is true, I'll say right now, it's going to be in next years top 3, no question.

As always, thanks for reading.

P.S. My number one phrase of the year is "Notable Quotable." Thank you, We Are Scientists. Thank You.
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

nice list! i need to check out "horses in the sky", apparently?

10:48 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

yeah, it amazing. some people dont like his voice, but i love it. just everything about the album seems huge and epic

11:28 AM  
Blogger Dodge said...

solid list matt, eclectic tastes and a nice change of pace. Boy Least Likely To's album is one I haven't heard in it's entirety, but love every song I have heard...couldn't include it because of that...Thee More Shallows is the same. I too will check into Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band. Nice work. That Antony album is good for about the first 5 songs and then I just tune out...something about his voice after a while.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely list.. i have some of the records but i haven't heard of a few of them so thanks.. my picks for bands includes Crystal Castles www.myspace.com/crystalcastles + Comic Book Fever www.myspace.com/comicbookfever + Islands (site??)

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home