Friday, December 01, 2006

Skatterbrain presents...


What it says...

These past couple months have been very strange for me, musically. I've been jumping back and forth from indiepop to instrumental post rock, skipping pretty much everything inbetween along the way. I just happen to enjoy the opposite ends of the spectrum more than anything else between them, but it's still funny to think about listening something like Mogwai and then switching right over to a band like Tiger Trap. Anyway, as you know, I've already made an Twee Pop Mix, and I'm still in the middle of a Fall Mix, but I wanted to showcase some of my favorite mind-blowing songs of the mostly instrumental persuasion. These songs are all pretty much at their best when played as loud as possible, so grab your headphones, turn em all the way up, and duck and cover. Jake "The Sonic Destroyer" Winstanley assisted in the creation of this mix.

01. [MP3]: Thee Silver Mountain Reveries :: More Action! Less Tears!
02. [MP3]: Mogwai :: Ithica 27-9
03. [MP3]: Do Make Say Think :: Horns of a Rabbit
04. [MP3]: Explosions in the Sky :: Magic Hours
05. [MP3]: Comets On Fire :: The Bee and the Cracking Egg
06. [MP3]: Godspeed You! Black Emperor :: Moya
07. [MP3]: M83 :: (Star)
08. [MP3]: MONO :: The Kidnapper Bell
09. [MP3]: Sigur Ros :: Untitled #8
10. [MP3]: Growing :: Green Pasture

As you can see, it's not ALL post rock. It is however, all very LOUD, and very EPIC, and very BEAUTIFUL. Okay well, I hope you enjoy it and hopefully you haven't heard some of these songs before and you'll be like "OMG this is amazing thanks Matt!" or something. That MONO track would be my personal favorite in the mix, for anyone who may have been wondering.

Happy First of December!
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

heck yeah! nice mix.

happy first of december to you too.

-K.B.

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second that... nice mix...

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great mix, as others have said, but allow me to argue a bit. I'm not nuts about the Silver Mt. Zion track -- the beginning especially is offputting. And the Mogwai track was not all that epic. Finally, I think just about anything off the most recent Pelican album would fit in very well here.

The MONO, Sigur Ros, M83, and Godspeed tracks are all excellent. * is a particularly inspired inclusion.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Jory Herman said...

very good!

completely delighted to see m83's inclusion.

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet stuff, dling now.

and a few of those bands i've avoided out of laziness, so here's my chance to check them out, thanks.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Insane mix! Well played! One word "scrumtrelscent!"

7:22 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

anonymous > i definitely agree that I guess in terms of "epicness" there are better mogwai songs to go with, but the guitar creshendo in ithica is just my favorite moment in any mogwai song ever, so i just had to include it!

2:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate your effort but I just wanted to let you know that your server is not dial-up friendly at all. I cant complete a download. I know, I know...we're a dying breed.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

sorry man :(

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are so rad.
thank you.
:)

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great mix, the do make say think track completes it

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i liked the mix, and mabye its just my preference but the comets on fire song doesnt quite fit the flow of things. black dice's "big drop" would be a good addition but then again its like 16 minutes long haha

6:48 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

yeah i wasnt sure, but i decided to go with it. but i do know what you mean, it's kinda got a bit of a different feel.

6:58 PM  
Blogger music is art said...

that mono track is beautiful, great list!

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice mix. good m83 pick.

8:02 PM  
Blogger T.Douglas Robbins Esq. said...

i respectfully disagree that the silver mt. zion is "offputting." i rather enjoyed this piece as i have long sought out this track. zoom, thank you sir. ps: i had never heard of pelican but am now thrilled, thanks anon.

6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the list.. I had not heard of mono before now.. and I will be heading out to pickup a cd of theirs today.. cheers!!

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeS, more action was perfect starT
a very ghoulish micks

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home