Monday, November 27, 2006

I can't let go of Rainer Maria


Rainer Maria

Thank you to all of you who wished me well in light of my deer accident fiasco. I've gotten it all pretty much taken care of as of now and I got a rental care that's better than the car I own, so that's pretty cool I guess. But yeah, I'm relieved to have most of it behind me.

Okay well, I've been thinking pretty hard about my end of the year list choices lately and it's funny how certain albums have creeped up so high on my most played lists lately, especially when I didn't really listen to them very much when they first came out earlier this year. One such album would be Rainer Maria's Catastrophe Will Keep Us Together. I love Rainer Maria, and while I do remember liking this album when I first heard it, I guess it just sorta slipped away from me somehow.

However, about a month ago I was listening to music on shuffle and a song called "Clear And True" came up, and since then I've just been pretty much lost in this album all over again, which is great, I think. Anyway, moral of the story... this song is just wonderful, and the album is just as fantastic as the song. Unfortunately, the band has since announced their break-up and I'll really miss em.

[MP3]: Rainer Maria :: Clear And True (Highly Recommended!)
I blows my mind how anyone can hear Rainer Maria and truly admit that they don't like them, because they're just so damn likeable, or so I think. This song's a prefect example of that: a super catchy chorus, feel-good lyrics, and Caithlin's voice, is just, well, wow; just like it's always been. It doesn't have quite the bite of say, "Ears Ring," but it's powerful and though it's not the closer on the album, I think it's a pretty fitting finale to a more than wonderful career. Seriously, how could you just not want to listen to this over and over again? It just feels so good.

The winding lanes . . .
and the fields on the left and the right . . .
and through my awkward life . . .
the same refrain.
I always wished it might have been recorded.

But now memory
has distorted your light.
Sing me something clear and true
in some otherworldly tune.
I'll make it up for you.

The day we played
as kids among the headstones
we pretended we had died.
But now something's changed.
We don't play games
and time has proved you right.

And now memory
has distorted your light.
Sing me something clear and true
in some otherworldly tune.
If you were here
I'd make it up for you.
Yeah, I'd make it up for you
with the song I loved the most.
I know you're here
and I'm not afraid of ghosts.

I'm not afraid,
I'm not afraid of going out alone.
(we lay down on the stone just like we died)
I'm not afraid,
I'm not afraid of ghosts.

(Whooooooo....)
Sing me something clear and true.
(Whoooo....)
And I'll make it up for you.
(Whooooooo...)
Sing me something clear and true.
I'll lay down on the stone right by your side.
(Whooooo.....)
Sing me something clear and true.
(Whooooo....Whooooo.......)
Sing me something clear and true.


Yeah, so when I hear a song I like for the first time I always like to go look at the lyrics, so I thought I'd put the lyrics here too. I think this might be interesting to do everytime, since I just post normally one song at a time. You guys think that would be cool, or unecessary?

Buy Catastrophe Keeps Us Together from Amazon.com

P.S. I noticed no one's really been responding to the last couple mixtape posts I did. Is anyone really interested in the rest of it? I was gonna do maybe two more, I think, if anyone wants the rest.
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love your mixtape posts. please continue.

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do the same thing with the lyrics. It really helps to cement a song in my mind.

And yeah for Rainer Maria. It's sad that they're gone now.

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoy the mixtape posts!

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't give up like Rainer Maria!!!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

okay well no one was responding tot he mixtape posts at all so i wasnt sure whether anyone was paying attention to them anymore or not... BUT if you want to continue them i will indeed!

1:17 PM  
Blogger LindseyBee said...

i love your mixtape posts! i'm still hoping that you might include some tracy and the plastics or tullycraft sometime though.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey matt if that lindseybee girl says she loves them, you should keep doing them. and i'd probably throw some tracy + the plastics and tullycraft on the next one too. seriously dude look at her picture.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

ahahaha chris. oddly enough, there is tullycraft in this mix... i just havent gotten to it yet.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want the rest! I just hadn't commented because I'd asked before, and didn't want to be redundant :]

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lordy.

im glad to see some rainer maria love.

keep up all the good work.

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rainer Maria! Discovered them in the last year or so and was fortunate to catch them live in Philly in a chucrh basement - awesome concert. I was oldest there by at least ten years if not more!! And then they go and break up! I'd love to find a recording of them live - anyone now of one? x Jim

4:32 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

there are some decent live videos on youtube, i think. you may want to check there.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Sophie Grace said...

Your blog has chock-a-block of useful information. I liked your blog's content as well as its look. In my opinion, this is a perfect blog in all aspects. To know How to Login to 192.168.1.1, Please check link 192.168.l.l

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home