Monday, January 28, 2008

"Why Don't You Spare A Minute Of Your Precious Time,

and if there's nothing in it; I don't mind." It's only been about four days of constant repetitive listening, but I feel like I can confidently say that I could listen to this song forever. The song is song called "Confession" by a band called The Anyways – a band that I'll never be able to thank Chris – from Heaven Is Above Your Head (and the late great The Rain Fell Down) – enough for introducing me to. Their song "Silver" appeared on the first Sound of Leamington Spa comp, but "Confession" – their very first single, released on Notown Records in 1987 – is easily their best, and one of indiepop's best ever, for sure. Please be aware that once you hear it, you're not going to want to listen to anything else for days. A few members, along with Angus from the Razorcuts, even went on to form a band called The Relationships and they're still playing and recording today!

[MP3]: The Anyways :: Confession (Very Highly Recommennnnnnnnded!)

Labels: ,

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

one of my favourite bands! Great to see someone that 'remembers' them! Their album "Older than Yesterday" I think it's just pop perfect! Confession, Some Psychedelic Song, The Ghost of Arthur Lee, Sweet Marie... wonderful, wonderful record! I agree Matt, highly recommended!

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great 7" single! Check out "Some Kind of Beautiful Nothing" playing in my MySpace MixTape...check out The Relationships, too!(ex-The Anyways and ex-The Casswells)...
"..if I came to a party with Lennon and McCartney..."

Jessel

http://www.myspace.com/jesselbaltazar

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah sweet serendipity, I stumbled across your blog, and you've pointed out this gem. Thanks so much.

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooppps! I have to correct myself with The Relationships comment as having some members of The Casswells...I was actually thinking of the band The Westfield Mining Disaster which has ex-The Casswells and Ex-The Haywains...sorry!

1:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helloo ... the Relationships are on Myspace, myspace.com/therelationships

In fact there was a bit of an Anyways reunion the other night at the Bullingdon in Oxford, where they played three or four songs. May never happen again.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely song. And the b-side is better.

I have about 20 copies of this somewhere. My ex was the record label. The only other single we put out was Shake Appeal ... who kinda became Swervedriver. I have the master tapes for that single!

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home