Friday, April 04, 2008

This is the rhythm of the night

I plan to start posting semi-regularly again at some point in the near future, but I've been quite busy lately and haven't had the time – or for that matter – been in the mood for writing, so I just haven't.

I did however have an awesome time up in New York this past weekend. We drove up Friday morning for Peggy Pains' Birthday Extravaganza at the Cake Shop. Insect Guide, The Manhattan Love Suicides, and of course, The Pobpahs all played and it was one of the best times I've had in quite a while. The was my first time seeing The MLS and they definitely met what by now must have been some extremely high expectations! And they even did so in about 15 minutes. Stunning, really. They played a new song, "Johnny Boy," which I now really, really want to hear recorded. Insect Guide opened and they were quite fantastic as well. They were pretty Slowdive-y, with lots of layered backing tracks by way of their laptop. They also pulled out a "Freak Scene" cover that I've gotta say, was pretty damn amazing. The Pobpahs were obviously great, save for a uncooperative power strip. They played some new songs, too! "Side Ponytail" might be my new favorite Pains song... infact, I'm pretty sure it is. They also played another new one called "The Tenure Itch" – a song about a bookish student sleeping with her distinguished philosophy professor who’s been coasting along on the coattails of decades old translations of Plato. Amazing, yes? The show was followed by an EPIC 90s Jock Jamz dance party care of DJ Shirley Beans! Too much fun, seriously.

The whole weekend was just totally awesome, and now I just really want to live in New York. It was absolutely wonderful to meet so many people I've only known through the internets for so long.

Well, I suppose that's it for now. I should be posting again soon. I really do miss it quite a lot, but it's just not happening right now.

Labels: , , ,

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

12 Comments:

Blogger martijn said...

I don't think there's a reason for apologies. We all have RSS readers these days -at least I do- so we'll just see your new posts popping up in due time. It's not like I'll suddenly unsubscribe from your feed! Just write whenever you feel like about whatever you feel like, that's what this whole blogging is about. :)

(While skimming your post, I thought for a few seconds you had been to a Major League Soccer game - I think I've read too much about football/soccer lately.)

7:05 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

15 minutes? That's a bit long for them ;o)

6:01 PM  
Blogger alt-gramma said...

Miss you, Matt. Hope you're having a great time doing whatever!
:)

11:24 PM  
Blogger shhhh said...

Aw, you SHOULD move to new york! I still have that awesome air mattress that's been gettin' kind of lonely...

<3 <3 <3 <3

4:08 PM  
Blogger Pete Green said...

Aw, that sounds amazing! It's our turn to be jealous of you now Matt. You tell them Pobpahs to get back over here soon. :)

5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i saw MLS w/ Tullycraft last year and i dont think they broke the 13 minute mark.

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a fantastic blog - you've got fantastic taste. By the wat The Hermit Crabs are excellent. Try to catch them at the festival in June!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Marianthi said...

Maaaattttt! I can't wait to dance with you to 'Side Ponytail' in June. Eeeeee!

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i may have been at that same tullycraft / manhattan love suicides show! i was standing next to peter from the mountain goats!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

ahhh popfest! it's going to a brilliant time marianthi!!! i cant wait to dance with everyone to everything!!!

3:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at that show. Wish I knew what you looked like. I would have said "hi".

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey
im new to blogging and i thought i'd message you cuz u seem to have some awesome taste in music
im 16 and a struggling musician. i live in a rather small town in mn but u seem like youve been everywhere, i unfortunatly never have left MN soooo i think my life is boring. but i might have a record deal, cool huh? lol oh and im a girl lol just fillin u in.
well byebye noe

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home