Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Subjective Best of Slumberland Records!


What kind of heaven do you want?

Slumberland Records began in Silver Spring, MD in 1989 as collected group of folks from like-minded DC-area bands. Mike Schulman eventually moved the label to California in 1992, but it still makes me proud to say it all began here, in Maryland. I was too young to appreciate it in the 90s, so I don't feel particularly qualified to ramble on and on about the history, since I myself have only learned it all from secondary sources. So, if you wanna know a bit more, ready some stuff on wikipedia, perhaps.

I got an idea the other day to compile some of my favorite musical moments from Slumberland's history, in hopes of, well, I don't know. I guess I just hope that maybe someone will hear something they've never heard, and maybe they'll fall in love with it forever. That's a good feeling, and if I can share it with just one other person, I'd be happy. I've decided to break it up by five year increments, and I'm starting with 1990 - 1995 – which are, quite possibly, the best five years of Slumberland's discography.

The tracklist runs in no particular order, just in a way that I felt flowed the best. It begans with The Roper's amazing "Revolver" – which carries with it a chorus that's sure to not leave your head for days and days – and ends on Jane Pow's first single, "Warm Room" – an absolutely beautiful and perfect closer. I guess I should also note that there are two Lorelei tracks. This is not only because they are both fantastic, but also because between their first two records, they basically turned into a totally different band. Please enjoy! and long live Slumberland!

01. The Ropers :: Revolver
02. Velocity Girl :: Forgotten Favorite
03. Swirlies :: Didn't Understand
04. Honeybunch :: Mine Your Own Business
05. Go Sailor :: Long Distance
06. Whorl :: Maybe It's Better
07. Henry's Dress :: (You're My) Radio One
08. Black Tambourine :: Black Car
09. The Softies :: You Don't Like Me Anymore
10. Lorelei :: Everything's Gone Rain
11. Rocketship :: Your New Boyfriend
12. Lilys :: February Fourteenth
13. Lorelei :: Mostly I Sleep
14. Sleepyhead :: Different Colored Letters
15. Glo-Worm :: Beyond the Sea
16. Boyracer :: Tested
17. The Earthmen ::Cool Chick 59
18. Jane Pow :: Warm Room

DOWNLOAD IT! [.zip, 18 MP3s, 125mb]

Now, remember these are just my favorites. Maybe you have some different favorites? Or maybe some Slumberland memories, or stories? If you do, I'd love to hear about them in the comments :)

Labels:

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

10 Comments:

Blogger Prime Student said...

your new boyfriend is the greatest song in the history of the world ever.

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks a lot. Anything with the softies and go sailor in it should be worth checking out :)

bijae

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an awesome mix! You might like the monthly mixes I post on my own site. I'm in the process of trying to complete Rose Melberg and Amy Linton vinyl collections, and this just reminded me how awesome Rocketship was.

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So GOOOOOD! I especially love all these songs. Thanks!

10:55 PM  
Blogger Wendy Lyon said...

Of all the tracks from the first Lorelei single, why Everything's Gone Rain? Easily the weakest of the three!

2:29 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

well, "everything's gone rain" happens to be my favorite from the first single... i just love the way it builds up at the end!! :)

2:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glo-Worm's cover of Beyond The Sea is just sweet! Thanks for sharing.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Colin said...

love it! but I have to say my fave ropers song is "you have a light"

yow!

i like all your choices, though!

11:50 AM  
Blogger The Boy and the Cloud said...

i would've put something by the saturday people on it too, and actually something from the new lodger album. it's as good as the best of their old stuff!

great idea! i might do a shelflife one, as i'm always pondering which is the best record they released :)

7:44 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

well yeah, i wouldve, too, but this one was only 1990 - 1995... i plan on doing a second!! i dont know when though!

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home