Monday, July 03, 2006

You're Moving Way Too Fast

No big news today or advance album leaks, just a few newly discovered ten year-old songs that I can't help but want to share with you. If you're a big fan of the band Rocketship already then please don't cackle at me because it took me ten years to find out about them, or well, be told about them. The wonderful Jewlie from The Fabulist introduced me to them this past week after I begged her for the cutest, most happiest music she had because that's all I've wanted to listen to for some time now.

Rocketship formed back in 1993, making 60's influenced bedroom twee-pop, but not your typical twee-pop. What distinguished this group, besides its killer instinct for great melodies, was its incorporation of elements of British shoegazer rock, especially layers of ringing guitars and swirling, pschedelic organ drone. The band eventually released their debut LP A Certain Smile, A Certain Sadness back in 1996 on the seminal pop label Slumberland Records. The underground success of A Certain Smile... managed to earn the group a bit of a cult following, that still continues to grow even now, ten years later. Unfortunately, following the release of A Certain Smile..., the original lineup dissolved, with singer/songwriter/guitarist Dustin Reske alone retaining control of the band's name and pushing Rocketship in an increasingly ambient direction. Anyway, regardless of what music Rocketship is making now these songs, and this album in general, have successfully made me happier than any song ever has, and I guess that's enough reason to demand you listen to it.

[MP3]: Rocketship :: Kisses Are Always Promises
[MP3]: Rocketship :: I Love You The Way I Used To
This might not be something everyone will love, but there isn't a second of either of these songs, or actually the whole record for that matter, that I'm not madly in love with. It could be the overly warm and sunny weather influencing my tastes lately , or maybe it just feels good to be this happy about music. Either way, let me know if any of you feel the same way.

Buy A Certain Smile, A Certain Sadness from Slumberland Records for $10
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This Rocketship record owns so hard it hurts. It's been a go-to record for me since it came out. You'll never not want to listen to it.

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should check out lorelei-asleep ep (1993) also on slumberland.
"mostly I sleep" reminds me of "kissing families"

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home