Tuesday, September 11, 2007

New Lil' Hospital Tracks!


Frank, Kevin, and Mat, purging paper throw-up.

Wow, I haven't done anything here for over a week! I've been busier than expected with school and work, but I'm gonna try to keep up here as best I can. Welly well well, let's get right back into it then.

The Lil' Hospital is a super excellent indiepop band originally from Philly, now calling Brooklyn, NY home. BUT YOU ALREADY KNEW THAT. Unless you DIDN'T, in which case you DO now. They released a fantastic album last year on Total Gaylord Records called Heavy Metal, that you could imagine sounds nothing like the name implies. Infact the band draws it's influences more from folks like The Television Personalities and early My Bloody Valentine. Anyway, Kevin's been slaving away on new stuff for the past year or so and he's kindly allowed me to preview two of the freshly recorded tracks here on Skatterbrain.

[MP3]: The Lil' Hospital :: She Goes With Satan Now (Highly Recommended!!)
[MP3]: The Lil' Hospital :: Saddest Things (Highly Recommended, too!)
These new songs seem to be following the Lil' Hospital guidelines pretty well, and then some. There's the jangly, sometimes twinkly guitar; then you've got the bouncy bassline; and Kevin's great lyrics are still great (and funny, as usual): "There's this girl from work that I am interested in, but word on the street is that she's into satan." I love the direction both of these songs are headed in, though. There's no HUGE changes in style, but the subtle changes are apparent and I'm liking them. The songs appear to sound a bit noisier and where most of Heavy Metal hovered around picked, twinkly area, these songs have got a big more garage-y feel to them. That should make sense, I think, once you hear the new songs. I'm so excited to hear more, and I'll let you know when I do!

The Lil Hospital on MySpace!

Labels: ,

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eating a roll of paper towels can seem hard to resist at first, but this picture serves as a stark reminder of the consequences.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Mat Pat said...

...well I believe I can account for that more "garagey" feel. These are not only the first Lil' Hospital tracks we've recorded since I joined the lineup, but I also recorded and (broad use of the term) "produced them and did most of the overdubs with kevin. I hope people don't disappointedly feel like i've "Specific Heats"-itized the lil' hospital upon hearing. So far it's been a fun collaborative effort and Kevin's been looking to go for a 'bigger' "noisier" sound for a while. So we're trying some things out. I guess i should also note that we recorded "she goes with satan now" prior to "the saddest things" and that I think you can expect more songs in the direction of the saddest things in the future...
I hope you all enjoy them!
Feedback is encouraged! e-mail us and let us know what you think!
thanks!
- Mat
(of The Specific Heats, theee Doane-Givvaschittz, The Lil' Hospital & now, My Teenage Stride)

1:41 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

hey mat!

i definitely love the direction of the new songs, i dont feel you '"specific heats"-itized' the songs at all, i think its a great step for kevin's songs, they really sound better than ever. anyway, yeah, good stuff.

matt

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. thanks for the write-up, Matthew. i honestly just want to have a sound that best suits a slot on the Lollapalooza or Coachella bill.

oh, and mat is also like the best f**king bandmate/producer/friend ever.

anyhow, please tune in when we come up with a new record!!!!

Love,
Kevin

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home