Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Sleepytime Mixtape Project: 11 & 12

This is going to be the second to last installment of the Sleepytime Mixtape Project and I've got some real good ones today, one of which is BRAND SPANKIN NEW and already sleepytime material. Hope you liked yesterday's songs and someone mention Joanna Newsom in the comments which is funny because I was THIS close to including her in this. Maybe next mixtape.

11. [MP3]: Mates of State :: Nature and the Wreck
This song is from the new album Bring it Back and is nothing like your typical Mates of State fare, which is why I love it so much. On this song Kori opts for piano instead of her typical organ playing and boy does she succeed. The lyrics are about about relationship troubles as far as I can tell and I can really feel what she's saying, as I'm sure most of you can. Not only is this a great sleepytime song, but it's one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite albums of the year so far.

12. [MP3]: Rachel's :: Water From the Same Source
For those of you unfamiliar with Rachel's, they make gorgeous flowing instrumental music. They've been thrown under the post-rock genre, but they're more beauty than rock. That's not to say this song doesn't have a chreshendo, because it does, it's just that it's piano and violin dueling as opposed to squeeling distorted guitar. This song couldn't be a more perfect sleepytime song than it already is, the melody is just infectious.

Preorder Bring it Back by Mates of State on Amazon.com
Buy Systems/Layers by Rachel's on Amazon.com

Previously:
Sleepytime Mixtape Project: 1 & 2
Sleepytime Mixtape Project: 3 & 4
Sleepytime Mixtape Project: 5 & 6
Sleepytime Mixtape Project: 7 & 8
Sleepytime Mixtape Project: 9 & 10
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this has been a great project. I have the whole thing on my iPod. ^_^ Thank you for this! By the way, I'm thankful you put that At the Drive-In songs, emo or not, overhyped or not, they made some excellent music.

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home