Friday, June 16, 2006

Cursive: "Dorothy Dreams Of Tornadoes"



After teasing us last year with The Difference Between Houses And Homes, it's about time Cursive delivered something new, and it doesn't get much more new than this. Not only will August 22nd see the release of Cursive's first studio album since 2003's much lauded The Ugly Organ, but the new album Happy Hollow is 100% cello-free!

To be honest, I was completely unaware of the new Cursive album until I saw this post over at I Guess I'm Floating. I can pretty much agree with Connor from iGiF, in that upon my first listen I was fairly disappointed. Not that it's a bad album, perhaps I guess I just set my expectations too high, but I feel like Happy Hollow is not only lacking the intensity of The Ugly Organ, but also the beauty. Now, one listen through isn't really enough to warrant a solid decision, however, it is enough to pick out an early favorite:

[MP3]: Cursive :: Dorothy Dreams Of Tornadoes
On my first listen to this album this was the first track where I found myself actually saying "hey, that's a really good song." The title of this song is actually in reference to a line in the album's first single "Dorothy At Forty." Now, as good of a song as that may be, it doesn't have yelling "this city's killing us!" over a distorted guitar and horn chreshendo. I thought at first that I would really miss the cello, but these horn sections are really filling the void quite well.

Cursive will hit the road in July in advance of Happy Hollow's release, playing eight dates including an akready sold out July 10th show at New York City's Bowery Ballroom.

Cursive Tour Dates:
July 5 Champaign, IL Canopy Club
July 6 Lansing, MI Temple Club
July 7 Cleveland, OH Grog Shop
July 8 Pittsburgh, PA Mr. Smalls
July 10 New York, NY Bowery Ballroom - sold out
July 11 Norfolk, VA NorVA
July 13 Newport, KY Southgate House
July 14 Des Moines, IA Vaudeville Mews

Cursive on MySpace


I'm gonna have to go ahead and agree with Valerie over at Rock Snob that this is infact the most annoying thing I've seen in a very long time. Think you've found something worse? Leave a link in the comments.
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

3 Comments:

Blogger Zak Champagne said...

Great post. I love your sight, we have eerily silimar posts sometimes.... I posted So So Gigolo.

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your SITE too! Love your post's even more. Always bringing the top tracks!

3:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've listened to the whole CD, and every note is amazing. I don't know how you could have gotten it so wrong. And it doesn't seem like you understand the allusion to Dorothy of The Wizard of Oz, let alone The Ugly Organ's allusion to Pinocchio.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home