Monday, July 03, 2006

Baby Calendar: "Traffic In The Tropics"



2006 has been a big year so far for Baby Calendar. Formerly of Miami, Florida the band made a move this year to indie pop mecca Athens, Georgia and released an album on Athens' own Happy Happy Birthday To Me Records. The new record, Gingerbread Dog(the band's third, but first on HHBTM), finds Tom Gorrio, Jackie Biver, and Arik Dayan working through eleven tracks of heavily melodic and exciting pop songs with undeniablely cute back and forth boy/girl vocals. In accordance with my recent cute pop music binge I've been listening to this song all day long and I'd highly suggest it to fans of Rainer Maria, The Brunettes, Rilo Kiley, et al.

[MP3]: Baby Calendar :: Traffic in the Tropics
Whenever I describe songs on here, I try to mostly lean away from delving into the titles and lyrics because I'm not that not very good at analyzation in that sense and I don't pretend to be. That being said, I think it's fairly obvious that "Traffic in the Tropics" is about Miami, or more specifically, their move from Miami to Athens. Now, I could be wrong, but I think I'm right. Okay well, anyway, there's a funny thing about this song because unlike, well just about every other song I like, I happen to like this song's verses more than it's choruses. The whole "boy says something, girl finishes his thought" thing they've got going on is a tactic that I'm ecstatically fascinated by.

Buy Gingerbread Dog from Happy Happy Birthday To Me records for $10!

The band's got a couple more dates lined up for July and then they'll be playing Athens Popfest 2006 presented by HHBTM in August.

July 4 Goldsoboro, NC @ Jesusy House
July 10 Bloomington, IN @ Plan-It-X Fest
August 12 Athens, GA @ Athens Popfest

Baby Calendar on MySpace
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently had the joy of booking Baby Calendar here in Central Florida and they were not only an AMAZING band but some fine people too. We listen to their cd all day in our office.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Colin Reed Moon said...

I opened for them in Laramie, Wyoming last summer--they wrote me to do so, and we booked the show in the basement of the guy from Termisique records house.

They are amazing; we've become quite good buddies. I'm always a little shocked that more people don't write about them, and equally shocked when I find them being written about. I'm proud of them.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home