Monday, May 18, 2009

If you wanted to, you could walk away


Ampersand

On a recent online hunt for Juniper records I ended up on the Fantastic Records website, where I'd also ended up several times in the past, only this time I had some expendable cash. Alongside #Poundsign#, Juniper, and The Shapiros, there were a few names that were pretty unfamiliar to me, so I took a look through the catalog. After a quick listen to "Tokyo Girl" by Ampersand, I immediately ordered their <<<<<<<< EP (along with a Sparklers 7" – more on that later). I can't recall being as excited as I was for a CD to arrive in the mail as I was for this one in quite some time. It finally showed up and just as I had hoped – Bay-area pop bliss.

It reminds me of a lot of things I love, but a few names that stick out would be The Ropers (on "Paramour"), Small Factory (on "I'm Still Waiting"), and even labelmates #Poundsign#. After probably 15 or more listens all the way through, I can safely say that is one of the best records to come out of that whole late-90s-early-00s San Fransisco pop scene. Unfortunately, as far as I know, <<<<<<<< is the only record they ever released. Quite a shame, too, because I would kill for some more of this stuff! Eight songs is just not enough. Okay, I've talked enough now, just listen.

[MP3]: Ampersand :: I'm Still Waiting (Highly recommended!)
[MP3]: Ampersand :: Tokyo Girl (Also very recommended!!!)

Order the EP from Fantastic Records (there are still copies!)

Also, if more songs do exist somewhere and you know where, please let me know!

Labels: , , , ,

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

best band i was ever in.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home