Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Grizzly Bear: "Knife"



I haven't had Grizzly Bear's new album Yellow House long enough for it to have made it onto my "Top 10 Records of 2006 (...So Far)" list, but it's really been growing on me a lot lately and at this rate it's got a very good chance of making it onto my end of the year list. I can't tell if that was a run-on sentence or not, but I'm gonna go with yes. I' finding a lot more to love on Yellow House than I did on their previous album, Horn of Plenty. They haven't lost their experimental roots, but on the new album it's evident they've gained a lot of pop sensibilities. Take this song for example, my current favorite from Yellow House.

[MP3]: Grizzly Bear :: Knife
The opening of this song makes me feel like I'm some kind of limbo between life and death where hundreds of spirits are flying around me talking and whispering to each other. As strange an image as that it is, I find it to be immensely comforting and beautiful. Yellow House is without a doubt a night time album, and this song, like many others on the album is the perfect song to wind down to after a long exausting day.

Yellow House is due out in early September and will be released by their new label home, Warp Records.

Grizzly Bear on MySpace
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

- the stuff i heard on soulseek was pretty great, can;t wait to hear more. i saw these guys play with sufjan awhile back at bowery, and they were incredible. can't wait to hear the new stuff live.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here here this song is massive

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liking this long time...

4:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what I find interesting about the three tracks I've heard is 1: how different they are from each other, and 2: how it essentially sounds close to nothing like the first record. this sounds like an entire reshuffling of a band happened, which is obviously for the better. Thus far I've found each track to be strong and stronger with listens, I do wonder how the "blog/hype community" will embrace it

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amazing. I like the slow open up of this knife.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

yeah, i kinda stayed away from the new album for a bit when i got it because i wasn't exactly a fan of the last record. but this sounds very very different and i have a feeling the blogs will be ber very receptive. i know matt from yanp is really in love with it.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, i've heard that a lot with the first album. it wasn't exactly an easy record or one that everyone loved, I like pieces of it a lot and other parts not as much

honestly though this seems like a debut rather than a sophmore effort as that the band really isn't the same...

My journo friend who has a full copy says it's one of the best albums of the year, yet he wont share it with me

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

agh, grizzly bear is an amazing band, knife is an amazing song, and yellow house is an amazing album. Eeeee, horn of plenty is epic too, though. hjgaiourg. The youtube video is epicer.
epicist.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home