Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Jens Lekman @ Pitchfork 7.30.06



Since Matt and I are huge fans of pop, we were both equally extremely excited to see Jens Lekman on day two more than anyone else. As it turns out our extremely high expectations were more than surpassed and his set ended up being my favorite of the entire festival.

We spent most of day two discussing how to pronounce Jens (turns out it's pronounced "yenz") and Jens' "maidens," as Matt aptly named them, and which one we thought was the cutest and how jealous we were of Jens having the privilege of touring with all six of them. I called dibs on the bassist, but Matt felt the trumpet-playing maiden was far cuter. What do you guys think?

It wasn't all about the maidens though, Jens' songs couldn't have been more perfect for the weather and they had the entire crowd singing and swaying along. As the equation typically always goes, good crowd = good show and that was the case here. Oh and I also took a lot of photos of the bassist, as you'll notice below.

[MP3]: Jens Lekman :: You Are The Light


The huge Danielson crowd we had to fight through to go get our sweet sweet spots for Jens.








I told you I took a lot of photos of the bassist!


I also took a photo of Matt in Taylor's sweet shades.


Preparing to bow like the classy and respectable Swedes they are.
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude the bassist dosn't want you she wants me ok dude, like for real, not even fake!

11:43 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

dude no she wants me!

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude I totally fell in love with the bassist and then I myspaced her

2:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw jens lekman<3!!

2:32 AM  
Blogger Dainon. said...

It was all about that drummer, c'mon! Course, you could see right through the whole brass section's dresses in the right kind of light, but still ... drummer, all the way. I searched in vain for the spot in the park they said they were going to play s'more songs, but could never find 'em. Do you know if they did a park set?

8:07 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

yeah taylor! you were the ultimate crowd guide! after we lost our asian, we had nothing until you came around ;)

but still... the bassist!!!

2:18 AM  
Blogger Rayuen said...

i liked the girl alll the way to the left on the last pic, the one on keyboards, tamborine, flute, etc. (at bowery ballroom) i like the way she dances.

not that i didnt like the bassist. ok so i myspaced her after reading the comments above. shes 21!

all the girls looked like they were young young!

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I drove five hours to cleveland to see jens and he changed my life. he could do the same for you all. god bless jens lekman.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Joe Thiele said...

i saw jens perform in des moines a few days before he was in chicago, so i've debated with myself which would be the the best to start a family band with (for example). the trombone player, like fer sher.

as for the pronunciation of 'jens': if you listen to 'black cab,' he actually sings "oh you're so silent Jens" with a hard J, so I've been taking it at that. but maybe that was just one of his sarcastic jabs at those of us not fluent in swedish-to-english linguistics.

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friends and I debated this issue of his name's pronunciation. The correct pronunciation is definitely "yenz". Black Cab throws you off, but what I think happened is the end of "silent" slurs together with the beginning of Jens to make it sound like a hard J.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Joe Thiele said...

fair enough

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home