Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Skatterbrain's Top Songs Of The Year


What it says, mang.

As you'll eventually notice, this is technically a top 30. However, I've only ordered the top 15. The rest are unordered and sans-MP3. I would discuss the matter further, but really, this list is fairly self-explanatory. If you have any questions please direct yourself to the comments and ask it. These are the songs that shaped my year, for better or for worse.

The Top 15:

01. [MP3]: Pants Yell! :: Our Turf
This was my "song" of 2006. Who knew a barely two-minute long instrumental pop song could be a song of the year? It easily illustrates just about any scene of daily life perfectly and I think that's why I still find it to be so great.

02. [MP3]: The Most Serene Republic :: You're Not An Astronaut
If there was any song that I listened to as much as "Our Turf," this would no doubt be it. The absolutely dumbfounding drums in the beginning only hint at the awesomeness that soons follows.

03. [MP3]: The Pipettes :: Pull Shapes
This was hard pick. It was a toss-up between "Pull Shapes" and "You're Kisses Are Wasted On Me," and then I realized that it's really not THAT important, so I just picked one. In the end I picked "Pull Shapes," and I think most of us can agree that it's damn fine song to dance to.

04. [MP3]: Belle And Sebastian :: Sukie In The Graveyard
That guitar solo at 1:15! That bassline at 1:45! Good God!

05. [MP3]: The Knife :: We Share Our Mother's Health
This is like, the indie hipster's "Thriller." Spooky, yet, dancable. Also one of the finest beats of the year. Yknow, since I'm a huge expert on beats and all...

06. [MP3]: Joanna Newsom :: Emily
This was the only song I had heard from Ys, prior to hearing Ys, and it still remains my very favorite song from that album. Honorable mention though, to "Monkey & Bear," who ran a very good race up until the very end.

07. [MP3]: Sunset Rubdown :: Shut Up I Am Dreaming...
It's a shame I didn't love the whole album as much as I love this song, cause oh man is it an awesome song. The first time I heard that guitar solo, my jaw dropped and I just started drooling all over my desk.

08. [MP3]: Continental Divide :: The Days Go By, But He's Old
Several of you may remember this as the song I posted two days in row due to heaps and heaps of incorrect and missing information. I had no time to waste though, I HAD to post it as soon I heard it. A whole album of this would be amazing.

09. [MP3]: The Airfields :: Nowhere Left To Go
The Airfields' brand of shoegaze-twee-pop is absolutely irresistible to my ears. Their Laneways EP is full of tracks right on par with this one, which is saying a lot, cause this one's fantastic!

10. [MP3]: Voxtrot :: Rise Up In The Dirt
When I first heard this baby, I thought it had a good shot at being my song of the year. It dropped off a teeny bit, but it's still the best song they've ever written.

11. [MP3]: Rainer Maria :: Clear And True
See here.

12. [MP3]: Camera Obscura :: Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken
I never really fell in love with this whole album but this was definitely one of the finest pop songs of the year and arguably the best song Camera Obscura has ever penned.

13. [MP3]: Arrah And The Ferns :: Tokyo, Tokyo
In my opinion, Arrah And The Ferns' Even Is A Vegan is probably one of the most criminally overlooked albums of the year. Every song on the album is a banjo-pop gem; "Tokyo, Tokyo" being my very favorite of the bunch. The end is just so...wow!

14. [MP3]: Love Is All :: Spinning And Scratching
The only comment I have is that I wish I could meet the keys that Love Is All's Josephine Olausson can, because then I could sing this song in front of people, instead of butchering it to death at the top of my lungs in the privacy of my own car.

15. [MP3]: Metallic Falcons :: Nighttime And Morning
This manages what many would assume to be impossible. While being utterly creepy as hell, it manages to somehow also be awesomely catchy. I didn't really get it the first time I heard it, and I still really don't, but "nighttime is for the boy who can fly" is one of my favorite lines of the year.

The "Best of the Rest," so to speak:

Grizzly Bear :: Knife
Beirut :: Postcards From Italy
I'm From Barcelona :: We're From Barcelona
Mono :: Yearning
The Besties :: Prison Song
Headlights :: Put Us Back Together Right
The Grates :: Lies Are Much More Fun
Mogwai :: We're No Here
Mates Of State :: Nature And The Wreck
Broadcast :: Unchanging Window
The Lovely Feathers :: Breakfast Cake
Holy Shit :: Written All Over Your Face
D+ :: Hear Lies: Red, White And Blue
Ms. John Soda :: Outlined View
Cansei De Ser Sexy :: Music Is My Hot Hot Sex

That's it folks. That's all she wrote. Fin.

If you've yet to see it: Skatterbrain's Top 15 Albums of 2006
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

meh

4:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic list, but the links don't work. Should be .net rather than .com ;)

9:06 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

oh man! whoops!

thanks for telling me eddie. i've never screwed up the .net and it figures the first time i screw it up is on a post with 15 mp3 links to go back and fix, haha. :)

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, now I can get the songs there that I'm not familiar with without having to change the URL myself. Yay for being lazy!

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If only the rest of the Most Serene Republic album was even half as listenable as that track...

3:09 PM  
Blogger marathonpacks said...

great list man. lots of new stuff.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

the rest of that ep is amazing. you shut your mouth.

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt, this is cool. Lots of songs I don't know, with lots of songs I love.
I am indebted sir.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... You said in your year-end album list that "Pull Shapes" 'was, and still is, the greatest song [you've]heard all year.' Now they've been downgraded two spots after only a week...

Not that I'm complaining (minds change; I get it), 'cause #3 is still pretty great, and I do like "Our Turf" a lot. But I'm iffy on the TMSR track.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

yeah, i wasnt too perfectly content with all the choices i made on my top albums list, so i felt liek this was a way to kind of sorta mend some of the mistakes i made, so to speak. pull shapes is still incredible, mind you, but overall, our turf just had me all year.

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, makes sense. It's a good list, btw. & I love the banner for the post!

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I come there since a few days, and almost songs I get here are really, really good. So I just wanted to thank you one time, because I never know what to say in an other way...

1:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Props for having Metallic Falcons in there.. one of the overlooked great releases of the year, I reckon.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

you reckon right, richie. i'm kicking myself for forgetting to put it on my albums list.

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I enjoyed the list, but even more, your writeups- standing out among the mp3 blogs in making me actually download everything here.

Thank you.

5:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

20.

Somehow I missed that Most Serene Republic record. Hmmmm. It's pretty good.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe that Mogwai didn't make it in! I think that Travel is Dangerous and Glasgow Megasnake are way underrated. Great list though!

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for posting the Sunset Rubdown song. this is actually the first time i've heard it. i passed on the album cause none of the tracks i heard struck me as special. but this one makes me want to go back and listen to the whole album. very cool.

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i appreciate your giving some listlove to continental divide. fantastic song by a fantastic boy. we're hoping to get some shit done next year and as someone very close to continental divide (i was the one with the rubber chicken), a full album is going to be the shits.

thanks a gain.

1:28 AM  
Blogger The Game said...

t's a shame I didn't love the whole album as much as I love this song, cause oh man is it an awesome song. The first time I heard that guitar solo, my jaw dropped and I just started drooling all over my desk.

I FEEL THE EXACT SAME WAY!
Kudos

www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com

2:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home